Sunday 23 November 2008

Tattoo contemplation

Alis volat propriis is a Latin phrase meaning “She flies with her own wings” and is the motto of U.S. state of Oregon.

Isn't it pretty? I think it's a lovely phrase, and i really like the choice of type.

As a big lit geek, i can only really see myself getting a tattoo of some script, i can't really see me getting a picture of any sort. I seriously think I’m getting “enthusiasm” on my foot in a couple of days. It’s my favouite word and my favourite sentiment, and i don’t think there’s enough of it in the world at the moment, especially in my generation.

I’m also playing with the idea of getting “in any case, it was just personal” from The Great Gatsby on my inner elbow at some point in the future. Others i’ve thought of getting (but almost definitely never will) are:
“let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth” Song of Solomon
“something good will happen” something my teacher told me, which i love.
“Everything always works out always” something a friend said which has become a catchphrase of mine
“was it all a coincidence?” from a Filschi and Weiss exhibition
“the space and the dream. the mystery and the danger” part of the commentary from Marilyn Monroe’s last photo shoot
“one that loved not wisely, but too well” Othello
“He’s just a man named Gatsby” The Great Gatsby
“like powder touching ash” what the water feels like to the fishes
“I am moved by fancies that are curled
Around these images, and cling:
The notion of some infinitely gentle
Infinitely suffering thing. ” from the prelude by T.S. Eliot

As far as lyrics go, maybe
“i’m gonna do what i said i’d do in school, and be the one who says “hey, this ain’t so hard, and it’s kinda cool”" Somewhat off the way by Dogs die in hot cars, (possibly just the second half, because it’s kinda long)
“when i fall, no-one catch me” Sheila by Jamie T

Basically it's half 4 in the morning, I've been out all night and my brain is leaking. This is not a statement of intent, so don't get worried (that means you Dad!), the next time you see me i will not be inked up to the eyeballs, i'm just in a speculative mood.
What would you other people get, if they were to tattoo yourselves?

No comments: