Friday 2 July 2010

A Very Petty Post

Ok, so it's way past my bedtime and I'm absolutely knackered, but i had to get this out before i went to sleep. The new Spiderman has just been announced and guess what?! It's Andrew Garfield!

This should make me super happy; and it did for all of 30 seconds, until i realized what it means. Yet again an actor that i loved in obscurity has hit the big time. Half an hour ago, millions of people had never heard of Andrew Garfield. Half an hour after the announcement hit the Internet his name was trending 3rd worldwide on twitter. I know i should be happy for him, and i am, but I'm also quietly mourning. This happens all the time. I've loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt since Third Rock, told people how awesome he was in Brick and Mysterious Skin (Watch Mysterious Skin, it's mind blowing, honestly), I cried for him in Stop Loss, all while my friends ignored his progress. But then (500) Days of Summer came out and suddenly everyone is re-living their childhood crushes on him from 10 Things I Hate About You. Matt Smith was awesome in The Ruby in the Smoke and adorable in Secret Diary of a Call Girl, which most of his die hard Dr Who groupies have never even heard of. Bitch bitch bitch, moan moan moan.

Anyway, while being excited for the film and happy that they are trying to repair the damage done to the franchise by the truly abysmal Spiderman 3, I've taken this news with a certain sadness. There is no question Andrew will make a wonderful Spiderman, he has yet to disappoint in any of his roles (I'll tell you again, watch Red Riding, watch Boy A, watch Parnassus, hell, even watch the episodes of Sugar Rush he's in, he aces every part), and i have full faith in Mark Webb as a director, i was just hoping i had a few more months, maybe until Never Let Me Go came out, until i had to share him with the rest of the world. I guess I'll just have to find a new ingenue to covet. It's a hard life.

No comments: